Memed – 8 Things About Me
1. My name is Nik. Not Nick. NIK. I have not changed it – it’s what my parents named me. The only other people (as far as I know) who use Nik as a name (not as an abbreviation for Nikolai or anything similar) are Native Americans. I like that.
2. In the language of the Ojibwe, as well as being a name, Nik also means goose.
3. I only ever write, longhand, with one pen. It’s a lovely blue Waterman ball pen I received from the love of my life last Christmas. Before that I used anything – usually Staedtler ball points. (I should add, not wanting to mislead anyone, that I do use a red pen for editing).
4. I support Manchester United football team.
5. In all the school visits, book signings and workshops I’ve done, I’ve only once not been able to answer a question. It was: ‘What do I dislike the most?’ I still don’t have an answer but bullying, bigotry and arrogance would all feature highly. And liars.
6. I believe in ghosts.
7. I used to sell cars.
8. I was once told by my headmaster at primary school, after I’d been beaten up (again), ‘to do whatever a bully tells me to.’ I still think that was the stupidest piece of ‘advice’ I’ve ever heard.
On that note I’d always advise that if anyone is being bullied they tell someone – preferrably a teacher or a parent. I’d also advise the teachers to listen and not think that it can be stopped, in any way, shape or form, by shying away from it. Cowardice doesn’t work, David.
So that’s it. The eight things you might not have known about me. I hope that at least one person finds something interesting in the above. I’ll not hold my breath though!